At Mist Carpet Cleaning, we understand that your oriental rugs are valuable and require special care. That’s why we have developed a comprehensive process to ensure your rugs are thoroughly and safely cleaned.
- Pre-Inspection and Pick Up: Before we begin the cleaning process, we will conduct a pre-inspection of your rugs to determine their fiber content, soiling type, and any other qualities that may affect cleaning. We will outline the expected results and cleaning “prescription” for you, and then come to your home to pick up your rugs.
- Dry Soil Removal: Woven rugs, especially hand-knotted ones, are designed to hide dry soil. In fact, a 9×12 rug can hide up to 87 pounds of dirt, according to a study by the Eureka company. To address this, we use a variety of techniques to “dust” the rugs from the front and back, including a pile lifter machine, special vacuum attachments, and other methods. This is the most important step in cleaning any textile.
- Pre-Conditioning: Depending on the fiber content and soiling type, we will pre-treat the rug to emulsify the soils.
- Pre-Spotting and Fringe Preparation: Any potentially difficult spots will be pre-treated with special solutions to increase the chances of removal. We will also pre-treat the fringe to maximize soil removal.
- Shampooing: Most rugs are cleaned with an oriental rug shampoo that is specially designed to get maximum cleaning while protecting sensitive natural fibers.
- Rinsing or Washing: Depending on the type of rug, it will either be rinsed with extraction equipment on both sides or washed in a wash pit designed specifically for oriental rugs.
- Speed Drying: Once the soil is rinsed away, the rug is dried flat or hung to dry in a controlled environment. Proper drying is essential to avoid unnatural shrinkage.
- Finishing: After the rug is dry, it is combed and finished with soft groomers made for specialty rugs.
- Post-Inspection and Delivery: Our cleaning specialist will give the rug a final inspection and release it for delivery. Your rug will be wrapped in brown craft paper to protect it from dust and environmental soils until it is delivered. Upon delivery, we will lay the rug for you.
How to Care for your Oriental Rug
Rotation – To insure even wear, your rug should be rotated once a year. Depending on the traffic, the rotation may vary from six months to two years.
Vacuuming – Oriental rugs, like most carpeting, should be vacuumed on a regular basis to remove dirt and restore life to the fibers. Be sure not to vacuum the fringe with your beater bar! Use the end of a vacuum hose from a canister vacuum.
Padding – A quality pad used under your rug helps protect it from dirt, wear and slippage.
Spot and Spill Procedures – Make sure that you safely and immediately clean up spots and spills before they set.
a) First, soak up the excess liquid by blotting with a clean absorbent material. Do not brush or rub the stain
b) Then spot-clean with a mild detergent-white vinegar-water solution. Do-not over wet.
c) Rinse area thoroughly with water and a small amount of vinegar. Avoid wetting the rug’s backing
d) Blot dry until most of the moisture has been absorbed
e) Allow to air dry. A fan or cool hair dryer can be used to hasten the drying process.
f) For stains that do not come out using these methods, please contact us.
Call Us Today at 770-410-1950 or email us at MistCarpet@Gmail.com